February Post

February Service Hours: 4

Total Service Hours: 9


February’s over, and we got through Mardi Gras! This month, we learned about reproductive and endocrine pharmacology, and neuropharmacology. I really enjoyed learning about the physiology of stroke this month, and finding out the risk factors associated with it. I have a few close family members who have had strokes, and it was beneficial to know what exactly happens during stroke, on a cellular level, and how these events exert their detrimental effects. It was unnerving to find out we don’t have many effective treatments for stroke, but it was nice to see laboratory evidence of brain plasticity in animal models, showing that, often, the effects of the stroke itself may be reversed by other parts of the brain taking on more responsibilities.

This month, I made Valentine’s day cards for senior citizens. It was nice to be able to take a couple hours to relax and color some cards, and I chose to theme some around Valentine’s day and some around Mardi Gras, since Valentine’s was on ash Wednesday this year. I also volunteered at the Legs N’ Dregs marathon, pouring beer for runners participating in the marathon. I couldn’t tell you why someone would want beer after running over 20 miles, but I was waiting on the sidewalk for the ones who did (it was a lot). 



My Valentine's Cards:


Pouring beer for thirsty runners.





Comments

Popular Posts