November Post

November Service Hours: 6 hours

Total Service Hours: 9.5 hours


November’s done, and we’re almost all the way through the first semester of class! After almost 2 months of learning about the heart, it looks like we’re finally done (at least for this semester). Interestingly, we also started learning about drugs that affect the kidneys, diuretics. I never really made the connection between diuretics and heart health until this month, when learning that diuretics cause a loss of water from the blood, decreasing blood volume, and, subsequently, blood pressure. I’m not really sure what I thought the reason for taking diuretics was before, but it was really interesting to learn how targeting the function of one organ has such an impact on another. 

I also loved learning about asthma drugs in November; I met almost ALL of the criteria for a lack of Th1 differentiation, which is thought to lead to asthma. I was prescribed albuterol in both an inhaler and nebulizer form, and that delicious cherry flavored chewable montelukast tablet we talked about in class.

In November, I volunteered for 4 hours at the Sankofa Sunset Stroll, celebrating the grand opening of the new phase of the Wetland Park in the lower 9th. I was assigned to parking duty, and even got to show a state senator where to drive! It was great to see the community come together to see their new park, and the couple of free chargrilled oysters I could grab made up for the mosquito bites I got. I also volunteered at Christmas in the Oaks for 2 hours, making sure no one burnt themselves (or others) at the marshmallow roasting station. Luckily, I made it through the night without having to use the fire extinguisher!




"Follow the green signs"- Me all night


Staying toasty.


Comments

Popular Posts